DPI's Software Development Apprenticeship Program
We are currently accepting Interest applications for our next DPI TechPrep Pre-Apprenticeship Program cohort.
DPI’s Tech Prep Pre-Apprenticeship program is a pre-requisite to entering the DPI Software Development Apprenticeship program. As our employer partners need apprentices, those who complete Tech Prep may be eligible to start the paid apprenticeship program and a professional career in software development. No tech experience or education is required! This program is rigorous, and a deep commitment of time and energy is required.
The date has not yet been set for the next DPI Tech Prep pre-apprenticeship program, however we will review applications on a first come, first serve basis according to the needs of our employer partners.
With this in mind, although we are accepting applications on a rolling basis, please complete the interest application as soon as possible if you would like to be considered for this opportunity.
How do I know if I am eligible for this apprenticeship program?
Great question! To be considered for the program you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Be able to work in the US without sponsorship
- Must be able to work/go to class in Chicagoland Area
- Must be able to type roughly 25 words per minute (Feel free access a free typing test here if you are not sure how fast you type)
- Undergo a background Check
- Submit a video interview response to our interview question included within the application
What does the application process consist of?
- The application consists of a basic background and demographic questionnaire, three short answer questions (300 words or less) and one, 90 second video interview. If you have access to wi-fi, a computer equipped with a camera or a cell phone, you will be able to submit your video.
- When apprenticeship opportunities with participating hiring partners are available, applicants will be informed that their application has been moved into the “Application Review” phase. During the Application Review phase, we will review applications to determine: 1) the ability to pursue goals and overcome challenges, 2) interest in tech and, 3) the potential to change the tech field through their unique skillset, professional or personal background, or future interests. Applicants who meet the above criteria will then be selected to begin the program based on the date of their application.
- When we begin reviewing applications, it will be on a first come, first serve basis according to the needs of our employer partners. If you receive a notice that you’ve been waitlisted, don’t worry! You’re not rejected! It just means that there were other people who applied before you who are also amazing and that you’re one step closer to beginning the program in a future cohort.
What will happen once the program begins?
Accepted applicants will begin a 6-12 week Tech Prep pre-apprenticeship program. Students who complete the program will have the opportunity to interview with our employer partners.
Students who successfully interview will then start the full-time, paid Software Development Apprenticeship program which starts with 3 (or more) months of intensive, accelerated classroom training to build skills before their on-the-job training begins.
Upon successful completion of the classroom training, apprentices begin their 9 months to one year of paid on-the-job training. After completing the program, most apprentices continue to work with the same employer as an entry level software developer.
Are there any educational requirements for this program? Or any required coding experience?
We ask that applicants have obtained a high school diploma or equivalent. There are no additional requirements regarding education or coding experience.
If you do have an Associate’s Degree, Bachelor’s Degree, or more feel free to look at our Software Development Apprenticeship with Cognizant here, or by clicking the button in the bottom right.
Are there currently any other apprenticeship programs?
Yes! Select the button in the bottom corner of this section to learn more about our Software Development Apprenticeship with Cognizant!
Where can I find out more about this program?
You can find out more this apprenticeship program and others at our information sessions. Click here to see dates and times for upcoming sessions.